Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Quinoa with Black Beans and Corn

Generally I try to cook a big meal with lots of leftovers on Sundays to eat for my weekday lunches. I am too cheap to buy food at my cafeteria, and especially as of late, where I've been running experiments over lunch and not getting to eat til 2-3 PM, I don't really have time to go off campus to buy food. I also know its a lot healthier, so I try to make sure I'm eating at least one good meal a day! So, this is what I was eating this week, following this recipe from one of my favorite blogs! http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/07/black-bean-and-sweet-corn-quinoa-salad.html She has tons of 'everyday' easy to make recipes that are all so delicous! so, here's my take on the recipe- which is very similar. No pictures because my camera died...one day I'll get it fixed and this will be a real blog with images!

Quinoa with Black Beans and Corn

2 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
2 teaspoon minced garlic
1.5 cup uncooked quinoa
3 cups water
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (15 oz) can corn
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed

Heat olive oil on medium high heat and add and saute onions. After 4-5 min, add garlic and saute a few more minutes. Add quinoa and water, followed by cumin, salt and peppers. Bring to a boil, cover and let simmer for 20 min (or when the water is all gone**). Then mix in the black beans and corn, and let it sit warming for 5-6 minutes. Then, enjoy!

**Be very aware of how long you let it cook! I left mine for a whole 20 minutes, and I came back to some burned quinoa! It still tasted delicious though!

***Another lesson learned- attempted to make this recipe the day before I made this slightly burned version (i have made this recipe several times earlier with no catastrophes!) and found bugs growing/living in my cayenne pepper! Always check that your spices are not too old (who knew bugs favored the spicy stuff!). I promptly purchased new cayenne pepper to attempt the recipe again!

No comments:

Post a Comment