Thursday, April 7, 2011

Speedy Pool Running

Wow, 2 posts in 2 days. It's a new record. I realized today when I continually clicked on google reader, that I was all caught up, and could not wait for someone to post something. Then I thought about my own delinquent posting (though to be fair, I have a lot less readers than they do, and I think I see most of you regularly), and thought, maybe I should post more frequently. Let's see how that goes!

So, I had a mostly charley horse-free pool run today! I got a little one after an hour, but compared to what I had last weekend and the weekend before, I'll take it! It must have to do with real running first...

I'll admit, when I looked at my pool run for today, I got really nervous. The main section, after a 25 min warm up with HARD/EASYs, I had to do 40 min with rpm 90-100. Because I didn't write this down, I forgot until re-looking at it later, and thought it was maintain 90 rpm, but either way, hard. Kind of like a tempo pool run, I guess! Anyway, because pool running is fairly monotonous, I checked my cadence every other minute (that's 20x in the 40 min. whoa.) And, I was happy- except for the first two on the low end (89), I was at least 92-93 for the majority, with a few 95s! I had a sense of accomplishment that I was able to sustain that high cadence for that long. Gives me a little hope that I can give the last 5k of the half marathon a good swift speed! (Apparently I am forbidden to do faster than a 9:30 for the first 10 mi).

When I got home I was ravenously hungry, and ate matzoh with cream cheese, crackers and sweet swiss cheese, and a few random sweets I had lying around. I think I am finally satiated, and it may be time to get myself ready for tomorrow's computrainer ride...Can't believe it's almost Friday! (and no, I have not yet listened to that stupid Friday song all the way through, and I am avoiding it like the plague!).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by, your kind words are much appreciated, and I love being introduced to new blogs!!! :)

    Question for you? Where did you get your pool running workouts? Would you be willing to share with me? I need something to break up the workout!!! Please help!

    Have a great weekend chica and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog too!

    I get my pool runs from the coach I am working with- so I don't know how legit it is to totally share everything...But, usually the workouts start with a warm up of 10 min easy jogging with some combination of short (like 30/30) hard/easy for another 10 or so minutes. Then the main section is usually something like x min hard, y min easy, like a run workout may be. (one recent one was 5:1, 4:1, 3:1, 2:1, 1:1 hard/easy). Then a 5-10 min easy cool down. I have also been doing boring long runs to supplement my running/get my 'mileage' up for my upcoming half marathon.

    check out this post: http://coachdeanhebert.wordpress.com/2007/09/25/is-aqua-jogging-any-good-for-real-runners/

    My advice to you is get music- I bought waterproof headphones from amazon, and put my ipod nano in a ziploc bag in between 2 swim caps. Also, I count my cadence very often- both to keep me honest, and to make the time go by! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete