Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Nostalgia

Tonight is the first night of tri clinic, so says facebook. I got a little teary-eyed when I read it, knowing that clearly, I will not be there this year. This is aptly timed, as I just returned from my first trip back to Chicago since I moved away, and have been hit with the nostalgia bug. I have never had this sort of phenomenon occur to me until this particular move. After high school, I moved away to go to college, and so did all of my friends. Things didn't remain the same. In college, we moved on to get jobs, and visiting felt like a visit- so much had changed. But, this past weekend, I returned to Chicago for the long weekend to visit my boyfriend (who surprised me with lovely flowers and a lovely necklace!) and all of our friends, and nothing had changed. Life went on without me in exactly the same way. I fell right back into place, hanging out at the same restaurants with the same people talking about the same things. I went for an awesome run along the lake path I had frequented so many times. I met some of my favorite training friends and caught up on their progress. Everything just felt right, as though I still belonged. I do love that about good friends- time passes but it doesn't matter. However, that does make it harder to leave. And while I am very happy in my new life, I was reminded of how much I had in my "old" life- I feel blessed that I have such wonderful people in my life both near and far. So, to everyone who came out to see me that actually reads this, thank you. I miss you all a lot.

In training news, I seem to be having a mini-taper this week because there is a half marathon in my near future. The forecast looks awesome (sunny, high of 36) and it's supposed to be a nice flat course on the cape. I am really excited to see where I'm at right now and to go out and have a fun race with my marathon training buddy. Our fitness challenge began at work this week as well- I am wearing a pedometer to monitor steps and we also have to record weight change and exercising. I think the pedometer is going to be the most interesting- so far I had about 5000 steps for the workday and about 10k during my ~6 mile hill repeats workout. I'm interested to see how high I can get on non-running days and on long run days! Maybe I will start posting my weekly stats here as I upload them for our work challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment