Monday, January 3, 2011

Goodbye 2010, Hello 2011

With the beginning of the new year, I want to start keeping up with this blog more- to keep a better record of my training as well as as a quick reference guide for recipes.

2010 was a great year. At the beginning of the year, I was only a few months into my new job, had barely begun swimming, and was horribly worried about how my friends were moving on to new cities one by one and how I would get by. Throughout this past year I learned a lot about myself and my abilities to conquer new challenges. I started to get more involved in work, made some headway in my research, attended a few conferences, and made some friends. I learned how to swim, and took it to the level of competing in my first (and 2nd and third) triathlon(s). I revived my interest in longer distance running by bringing myself to the soldier field 10 mile race at one of my fastest paces ever, and through hard work and run clinic, dropping about 5 min off my half marathon time, while making some new great friends. I built up the endurance and confidence to bike (most of the way) to work, and plan to do this 1x a week when the weather gets better.  I knitted 3 (almost 4) pairs of socks 2-at-a-time and a baby blanket. I traveled to Japan (maybe one day I'll make a trip post but for now I'm satisfied that I am at least doing a 2010 summary and goals of 2011!). I balanced my job, a 2 hour + total commute, training, boyfriend and friends (new and old) and am confident that while I am sure it won't be easy, I can continue doing so for the remainder of my post doc. I even finally got around to putting up a Christmas tree in my apartment (which I have yet to take down...but it's so pretty!).

I will be turning 30 in 2011 so I feel like that means I should have some lofty goals...one of these is a half ironman. I signed up for the Austin 70.3. A few friends will be doing it so it isn't nearly as scary as it could be. Right now I feel like it will be impossible to get there. Since the half marathon, I have been working out with a lot less intensity, as part of the recovery before the big HIM training. In fact, the coach had us take a solid 2 weeks off...(seriously, at first that sounded awesome, but now that I am nearing the end of it, I realize how much I am missing it and can't wait till run clinic tomorrow night!). I know that she will get us there, but after this hiatus, I am extremely worried about how much my muscles have fatigued, and if my low self confidence at the moment can be reversed when I start out doing things with less ability than I had at my peak of the previous season. I am reading (upon coach's recommendation) a book about running by feel as a way to train better. I love reading all the anecdotes about the world record runners (similar to how I love reading Runners World) and it is certainly inspirational. I just hope that I can be patient enough with myself to know that it'll take a little time to get where I was before.

As far as the rest of 2011 goes, I haven't set too many goals in stone. (Maybe by my 30th birthday I'll have a list of 30 goals). I have a few trips planned (conference in Fl in Jan, London in maybe March, a wedding in PA in July and of course the HIM in Austin in Oct). I have some socks to knit and I want to spend some more time this year reading. Here's to a great 2011. Happy New Year!

1 comment: