Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Greatly Dislike Snow!

We got some snow yesterday...it was snowing all day and I guess we accumulated at least 2 inches. I know this because when I headed to my car this morning to head to the computrainer workout, my car was gone! Towed away! I freaked out and then realized, there must have been a snow emergency. And when I got home late from RC the night before, when the roads weren't well plowed, I took the first spot I could find, which was apparently on a more major road, where they tow your car after 11 PM. Bummer! Luckily, Mo rescued me and brought me to computrainer, to the Y to shower, to a few streets to look for my car (which the city's website informed me would be 'returned to the vicinity'), and ultimately back home. Once home (with car location still unknown) I called the parking office who informed me that despite what it said on the website, my car was in fact in the tow lot. darn! So, Mat, being the good nice boyfriend he is, drove me over there, and I got my car, and trekked onward to work. Ugh snow! The very same snowstorm caused me to slip and fall at work between buildings while toting experimental equipment! Luckily both me and the equipment survived.

Snow aside, workouts have progressed this week. Monday was my first swim in about a month, and needless to say, it was tough. For one chunk of the workout, I had to do 2 sets of 8 laps. Previously (ie when I was in good shape in the summer!) I was able to do something like this without thinking, but Monday it was so slow going, and I let myself take longer than normal rests at the walls between laps. I was frustrated at how hard this workout felt, when I know I had been able to do these same workouts only months ago without this much of a struggle, and of course started to worry about my lofty goal of 1.2 miles in the HIM... I kept reminding myself though that at this time last year, I was unable to even do 2 laps continuously without stopping and managed to work up to a max swim of 1.5 mi. So there is hope, but I know I have a lot to work up to in the swim...

Last night, RC was also a challenging workout. We had to do 10 quarter miles at a quick pace, which I did at around 1:50. These were quite difficult, but it felt so good to be running fast. The computrainer ride this morning was a lot better this time than last time, which was encouraging. I'm getting back into the workout swing, and looking forward to keeping it up. I'm trying hard to stay patient with my progress. The next big hindrance is my pesky ankle which has been bothering me since December. I am finally scheduled to see a doctor, and I am hoping that while trying to get back into my training, I am not further injuring it...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so, so, so happy you're blogging too. And even more happy to hear that I'm not alone in the struggles of getting back into it. I didn't have time to blog today, but it was the first run I had in MONTHS that felt like ... I'm on my way back into where I was a few months ago.

    Keep bloggin'!!!!! And knitting!! And baking!!!

    ReplyDelete